I decided to join the military in 2005 for various reasons: I was bored in school, I didn’t like my job, I didn’t want to live at home anymore, etc., etc., etc. My first year as an Airman, everything seemed to have gone wrong. I didn’t get the job I wanted, while everyone else in my BMT flight got that career, the base I was stationed at was less than ideal and I missed home (ironically).
Since that first year, I’ve had my ups and downs with the military but I realized I have done, seen, some pretty amazing things and have been to places I couldn't dream about. I get school paid for, I make good money and I have no real worries in life … all thanks to the Air Force. I have also met some of the best people anyone could ever know, some of who I would never have had the chance to meet any other way than being in the military.
But those are not the reasons I stayed in the military. I stayed because of the pride I feel every time I hear the National Anthem playing and know I am a part of something bigger than myself and am contributing to a campaign to sustain the American way of life and the American dream.
I know this sounds cheesy, but it’s true. You don’t see it much when you live in a military town, you know the community is appreciative of you and what you do. But I just went to Boise, Idaho, for the BSU vs. USAFA football game and wore my uniform for all our community outreach events. It was there I realized that more than military communities appreciate what you do and many people around the country are proud of you and you should be proud of yourself as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment