Okay,okay, I know I got here by hopping on Interstate 10 from Small Town, La. and driving west seven hours until I heard the sweet sounds of the mariachi bands and saw the River Walk. But my trip to San Antonio took much longer than seven hours.....it really took ten years. I had been out that long due to my civilian job. For ten years, every time I saw an airman, be it on television or in person, I ached to be back as part of the Air Force team. That desire wasn't fueled by any kind of personal gain. Uncle Sam had already paid for college and nobody gets rich serving in the military. I just wanted my children to see what it meant to serve and to be part of a group of dedicated people. Last March, I was finally able to come back.
Quite a bit has changed in the decade I've been out. But this week of training shows me the most important thing remains the same. Air Force people are still dedicated and still push themselves to excellence. I have met a lot of great people this week and learned a ton from some very knowledgeable instructors. So, for me, the long trip to San Antonio was worth it......the team is still the same and I'm happy to be on it again.
- SSgt. Ted Daigle
Great heartfelt post. Would maybe have liked to see a then and now photo comparison to show how things change but somehow stay the same to reinforce what you're writing about.
ReplyDelete