
So I’m at a “Communicator’s Workshop”…
I find it interesting that we are told not to use the very methods of communication we are learning about. I can go on and on about not seeing the value in using social media venues to communicate, how we’re ridiculously behind industry standards, how we first need people on the platform before they can communicate professionally… but I’d like to keep it short.
Let’s talk Twitter.
The key to having a presence on Twitter is first, being on Twitter. Shocking, right?
I find it hilarious that the first day of the conference we are told not to use social media: no live tweeting, no facebooking etc., Hold up… what?
This is not how pros play ball.
When asked who is on Twitter in my group, about 3 hands went up. We need to get real with this if we’re going to attempt to be relevant on the platform. I don’t want to get into the value of Twitter, simply because that’s a totally seperate conversation. We need to open up and let our people use this stuff during the conference. You can’t learn everything from PowerPoint slides and an hour brief.Being part of a pretty awesome “intern” program allows me to attend some of the best communications conferences in the country with industry leaders. We’re tweeting the whole time, pushing the things we're learning to our colleagues all over the country. We’re not just using the platform. We’re improving our Twitter skills, expanding our understanding of our capabilities, sharing new ideas & best practices, reinforcing the lessons we’re learning, & networking with some of the best communications professionals in the world. There is much to gain by allowing us to live tweet. The benefit of shutting us off from of all this is not apparent to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment