The word photography means drawing with light -- a camera is merely the charcoal and paper. The world can often be blurry because we move so quickly through it, but for me photography is a way to bring things into focus. It makes me see things that were there all along, but were hidden behind the fog of daily life.
Ansel Adams said, “A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety.”
When I take a photo, I aim to capture an emotion and a specific moment in time. After years of experience I have determined that a stunning photo is part lighting, part angle, part timing, part planning and just a little bit of luck.
During the 2011 Mississippi Coastal Clean-up amongst the crushed cigarette butts, the empty aluminum cans and the glistening pieces of plastic wrapper was a dead butterfly. This caught my eye at first because it looked like another piece of trash. But one of the most beautiful things I’ve discovered about photography is that it teaches you to truly open your eyes and see what may otherwise have been invisible.
Nicely written, succinct, descriptive post! You make your point complete in the post and do it in a way that keeps the reader engaged. The addition of the photo that you wrote about really brings everything together into a very nice package. Well done!
ReplyDelete