Friday, October 28, 2011

Tweeter? Twitter? Whatever, I got it


I’ve been Twignorant. I never understood the appeal of posting 140 characters of random thoughts or events in ones day for “followers” to read and I DEFINITELY didn’t care what Ashton Kutcher was doing for lunch or how he felt about the economy. Although I still don’t care how Ashton Kutcher feels about the economy, since this past Monday, thanks to a little encouragement from the #AFPACW (see what I did there!) and my social media savvy colleagues, I Tweet.

It seems like every individual, company, organization or cause Tweets. Why does the AP Stylebook need a Twitter account? Because they can, and people will follow. A platform for quick information, Twitter as a medium has generated my interest in new topics and enlightened my outlook on old topics.

The idea that 140 characters attract people is fascinating. I know that a single Tweet once in awhile isn’t an effective way to communicate with an audience, but it’s a start. If you Tweet it, they will come. The public wants to be informed and to hold their attention, need stimulation from many places.

So I appreciate Twitter. I appreciate that I know Lady Gaga is performing in India for the first time. I appreciate Aziz Ansari’s Tweet reminding me that a new episode of Parks and Recreation was on. And I appreciate that Twitter is, in my opinion, the tip of the iceberg for communicating and can used to launch something much bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment